CHIEF ACADEMIC OFFICER (CAO)
Omega Schools Franchise Limited is transforming education by addressing one of the emerging world's biggest problems: inadequate access to high quality education for all families, poorer as well as richer. With its unique, daily all-inclusive Pay-As-You-Learn approach, affordable to low-income parents, the company is striving to become the preferred education network for aspirational families across Ghana. Opening its first schools in September 2009, it grew to nearly 40 schools in four years and is now set for further rapid expansion.
The core of the Omega System is its instructional approach that encompasses:
- Scripted lesson plans for every subject and every grade;
- A centralized assessment program to ensure data informs learning at all stages, compliant with Ghana Education Service standards;
- An intensive teacher training program, covering induction and ongoing teacher support, crafted to empower teachers and provide them with the skills needed to be highly effective in the classroom;
- Detailed and rigorously enforced policies concerning classroom management, instructional progression, attendance, discipline and health and safety;
- An instructional compliance system managed by Education Advisers that includes weekly instructional compliance reviews, detailed classroom observations, multi-part instructional oversight, random spot-checks and guided review of assessment results and placement records;
- Omega teachers are generally high-school graduates, often without previous teaching experience. Our school managers are residents from local communities with maturity of understanding but not necessarily previous experience in school management. The Omega System complements the abilities they bring with extensive training, support, guidance and frequent auditing at multiple levels. Standardization and systematization are at the heart of each initiative, to ensure consistency across the school chain. With the all-inclusive USD 0.60 daily school fee per pupil, including lunch, uniforms, books and extras, creative initiatives are a must for successful management performance.
Reporting directly to the Company’s CEO, the Chief Academic Officer will be responsible for the overall day-to-day effective operation of all educational components of the Omega System, including:
- Strategic input to decision-making on methods for effective learning and teaching, leading to the highest possible learning outcomes
- Refinement and implementation of all teaching and learning materials for all subjects and grades, including management of in-house development of lesson plans, pupil workbooks, assessments and other learning resources
- Refinement and implementation of all induction, in-service training and mentoring programs for teachers and school managers, including monitoring and evaluation protocols to measure effectiveness
- Refinement and implementation of systems for classroom management, focusing on children’s behavioral and affective issues
- Direct management of all Omega personnel concerned with educational matters, including the head office curriculum and design teams, instructional quality assurance team and the professional development team.
The CAO will be expected to use his/her extensive experience and leadership to foster best practices and ensure sustainability and scalability of the educational model. The CAO must be capable of working on two levels – both educational rigour and excellence as well as a cost-effective business approach. The CAO must be capable of driving the Omega System to success in a competitive and fast- paced environment, under cost-constraints, considering a very specific set of macroeconomic and microeconomic circumstances. The post is hands-on, requiring the person appointed to spend considerable time in schools, with children, teachers, school managers and parents.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
The person we are looking for is a passionate, committed, energetic educationalist, with at least five-year experience in teachers’ training, curriculum development, assessment and/or educational research. The person appointed is likely to hold at least a master’s degree in education or cognate discipline. He or she must understand the significant role that low cost private schooling is already playing in the Ghanaian and African educational landscape, and be aware of how it can be improved even further. He or she must be excited about the possibilities of improving the educational opportunities for aspirational but low-income families in Ghana, with ideas on innovative teaching and learning approaches. The person must be an excellent leader, a proven manager and be comfortable in a start-up environment, where even though things change quickly, high performance is expected at all times. The person must be data-driven, able to collect, use and understand data, and be aware of how this can inform the educational innovation and support process.
HOW TO APPLY
Kindly send your application letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.